Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bircher Müesli

It is the special treat that sounds weird, looks weird, but my kids dance with joy when we have some in the fridge.

 My mom used to make this for us growing up and since no one else I had ever met had heard of it I was starting to suspect that she made it up. I had heard of  müesli which is a mix of oats, nuts and dried fruit that you eat like granola sprinkled on stuff, but I never quite knew where the "Bicher" came from. Turns out it is actually the name of the guy who invented müesli. He was a Swiss doctor that went against current turn of the 20th century beliefs and was eating raw fruits and grains as a healthy start to the day. People thought he was a quack, but we now know that he was just ahead of his time.

And that concludes the history lesson. . .

While doing my research I couldn't find a similar recipe to my mom's, but I think that I like hers the best. I guess she did make it up after all!

Most of the other recipes use milk instead of yogurt, no fresh fruit and have the addition of nuts. . .

I don't do nuts in my food, but if you do then feel free. . .



Here's what we use around here. . .the big tub of vanilla yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, banana, raisins, apple and old fashioned oats.



 Dump the yogurt into a big bowl. Add fruit diced into bite sized pieces (except for the raisins and blueberries, 'cause they are already bite sized. . .but I'll bet you figured that one out on your own)



Bring on the oats!



Give it all a stir and then. . this is crucial. . .put it in the fridge for at least two hours. . .

This is the step that is torture for the kids, but it allows the oats to soften, the raisins to get a teensy bit plump and the strawberries to give everything a slightly pink tinge.



When it is done, dish it up and enjoy!

Feel free to change up the fruit to what your family likes, but I personally wouldn't eat it without the apples and raisins. . . they make my tummy happy.


Here is the handy dandy printable recipe!


PS. We normally end up eating this for lunch, or an afternoon snack, but if you had made it the day before it would also make a lovely breakfast. . .it is versatile like that. . .but I have been known to eat Korean dumplings for breakfast, so I might not be the best judge of what people like to eat for breakfast! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment