Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rag Rug Tutorial

So, I got put on call from work the other night and I decided to do something fun, rather than do what I normally do and try and get caught up on "stuff" around the house. . .

or . . .er. . .waste time on the computer. . .

Who does that?

Certainly never moi!

Anyway, I have had this project rattling around in my brain for a while and I decide to hit the fabric closet to see if I could find enough scraps to get my plan into action.

I found several different colors of leftover fabric from quilts and an old white bed sheet. . .

Perfect!



I cut the fabric into 2 inch strips and then got out the largest crochet hook I could find. 

I started with a chain about 2 feet long and then started single crocheting around that chain in a spiral. . .



The pattern I went for was to do a row of white and then a row of colors.



Here are a few action shots. . .



Loop and pull through. . .



When you start turning around the spiral you will need to add some extra stitches to keep the rug from turning into a bowl. . . on some of the rows I ended up doing two stitches in the same whole every other space around the curved part. I just kinda played it by ear to keep the rug flat.

Next to join the colors or when switching to white. Trim off. . .



Cut a slit about 1/2 inch or so. I doesn't have to be perfect.



Repeat with the next color. . .



Fold and snip. . .



Layer the two pieces together with the short tail on top. . .



Thread the long tail through. . .



Pull through. . .



Tighten. . .



And keep on working until the rug is as big as you need, then finish off just like you would with a crochet blanket. . .



This rug is big enough for a door mat.

I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out!
Best of all it came completely from my scrap closet and I was able to complete is in a few evenings while watching tv with the fam. . . I loooove multitasking a project!!!




1 comment: