Thursday, December 8, 2011

Caramel Apple Squares

I was cruising through Walmart a while back and glanced over and saw these little lovelies. . .

They magically dove straight into my basket. . .seriously, I didn't even blink. . .

First they were on the shelf, and then they were in the basket. I didn't even slow down. . .

I could hear them calling to me!



I had to figure out something to do with them. Here is what I came up with. 

The cast and crew.


Cream the butter and shortening together for about 30 sec on high.


Peel your Granny Smith apple. . .

I will stray from my love afair with Ambrosia apples when it comes to baking. 
Granny Smiths really stand up to the sweetness here. 

*Note: If you don't have one of these peelers, then I have another item for your Christmas list. They are a little awquard at first because you peel towards you, but they are oh-so-awesome and make peeling things a breeze! I even use it to slice thin strips off the end of a block of cheese.
You can order one here . .I digress. . .



Cut the apple into 1/2 inch cubes. For my apple cutting technique see my apple post.



Add the two sugars, the baking powder and baking soda.



Mix well, then add egg and vanilla.


Mix well.


Add flour and mix well.


Add rolled oats and mix well. . .I sense a theme. . .mix well, people!



If you truly want to be like me, then dump some oatmeal on the floor while you are taking pictures.


Mix well.

Add Caramel bits and apples.

Mix well.

I like to leave my mixer unlocked when I put chunky pieces in. 
 It lets the mixer head bounce and it keeps the chunks from getting squwarshed. . .

Dump into a greased (or sprayed) 9x13 pan.

Squwarsh.

Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes.



Cool completely and then cut into squares.



I think these might need some ice cream. . .just sayin'. . .

You can find my printable recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment