Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pepperoni Rolls


Pepperoni Rolls were a part of growing up in WV. 

They were on the cafeteria lunch menu. They were sold as fundraisers for sports and band
 (if you were a band geek. . .not saying that I was. . . but if you were. . .eh-hem).
 You could even buy sub par versions at the grocery store.

I took them for granted.

I moved to CA.

There were no pepperoni rolls.

No one knew what they were. 

Apparently the pepperoni roll was developed in WV! Who knew! 
Here is a link to their history. . .http://www.pepperoni-rolls.com/history.cfm

I decided to figure out a way to make this comfort food at home without having to spend all day. There are probably some cafeteria ladies really offended by my version, but I am very happy with my pint sized bundles of joy.


All you need is a bag of frozen roll dough, a block of mozzarella, and some pepperoni.




Cut the bag open and allow the dough to thaw for 30-45 min. 
You want it to thaw enough to stretch them out,
 but still cold enough that the dough doesn't get really sticky.




Meanwhile, cut enough of the cheese to equal the number of dough balls.




Assemble your ingredients. . .try to keep grubby hands out of them. . .I failed. . .miserably. . .

Note: I usually buy more cheese and pepperoni than I need just for this reason.




Stretch out a dough ball.




Add three slices of pepperoni.




And a stick of cheese.




And  roll it up.  




Being careful to seal the edges well.





Ta Da. . .




Line them up on a cookie sheet and let them rest for about 20 min. 
They won't really rise, but it will  make a softer roll.




Place them in a 350 degree oven for 12-14 min.

Then commence to devour enough to make your tummy oh so very happy. 





These are perfect for after school snacks,  Super Bowl parties, or any other time you want to be the favorite person in the room.


Make them for the men in your life. . . you won't be sorry. . .and you will thank me. . .

Here is a link to my printable recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment