Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Taming Amish Friendship Bread. . .


Once upon a time I was given a bag of Amish Friendship Bread starter from a coworker. 
I was new to town. . . I only knew coworkers. . .I came home and did the squish and add thing and then had no one to give my new bags to. . .hmmm. . .

 I decided to go online and find out if you can freeze the starter. Yes!

Once upon a time I had 3 bags of starter already in my freezer.
 I took one out and started at day 1. . .again with the 10 day squish and add thing. . . 

 I now had 6 bags of starter for my freezer. . .

 I decided to run an experiment and just pull a bag of starter out of the freezer, let it warm up for 24ish hours and then use the "to the remaining starter add" part of the recipe. It worked beautifully! Now I just pull  some starter from the freezer and if I start running low then I do the 10 day process to replenish my stash.

Once upon a time I wanted to enhance the deliciousness of this bread. . .I added streusel. . .
I know, I am a culinary genius. . . .

To test my recipe I gave some baked bread to my sister-in-law. . .
She asked me to bring her a bag of starter. . .
I think that proves my point. . . . Streusel = Yummm

Here is the lineup of ingredients.




Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and dust 2 greased loaf pans.
 Reserve remaining sugar mixture.


 


Mix all ingredients together in a nonmetal bowl with a nonmetal spoon.
(not sure why. . .chemistry. . .whatever. . .)




Spread evenly into the 2 loaf pans.




To reserved sugar mixture add 1/4 cup flour and 3 TBSP softened butter.




Walk on the wild side and let your 3 year old son mix it. . .




If you are feeling wild and crazy, allow him to mix it one handed 
on the edge of the table while you take pictures. . .

It might not have ended well. . .

But it did. . .

I do wild and crazy things when I don't get any sleep.




Sprinkle evenly over batter and bake at 325 for 1 hour.





Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan and then turn out and allow to cool as long as you can stand it. 




Devour as much as you want, 'cause you made it and you know how to make more. . .Amen.

Here is a printable link for my recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment